L E G E N D


Monday, July 14, 2008

Rick Wakeman - (2000) Prelude to A Century

"A beautiful piano release, full of emotion and passion. Wakeman's trademark melodic sound waves are evident and his expressions of sensitivity denote the maestro's personal views on a new era, a new beginning for the world and mankind. Preludes to a Century is an exquisite trait to the ear, but especially, the soul. This album is of particular personal significance for me because each time I play these songs to my adoring wife it helps me reach her inner musical sensitivities. The music on this album turned her into a serious Wakeman fan.
review by Roberto Ugalde on 23/02/2005"
"Well it's all played on a piano - and a great sounding one at that! Some people may feel this is an album to have a "nap to" which is understandable and their prerogative - the beautiful melodies certainly do have a hypnotic quality to them at times. However, to just write this work off as another "chill out CD" would be to miss the heart of the album. In my opinion I have never heard a CD of songs played on a piano by Rick in which you can tell what is going on in that studio from the tips of his fingers right into his very soul. I have not heard another album of Rick's that is as musically honest and as open as this. I wish I'd found it earlier.
review by Neil Barton on 15/12/2004"

Rick's Perspective:
Notes: I tinge of sadness with this album in as much as it was meant to herald in the new Millennium and in fact came and went almost un-noticed! There is a lot of self feeling in this recording and it is difficult for me to listen to it back sometimes because I am the only one who knows the true meanings of the pieces. It heralded a new century and also a new beginning for me in many ways.
Wakey's Verdict: Full of passion, soul, heart and meaning. A rarity to get them all on one piano recording.
Little Known Trivia: At midnight on New Years Eve, at a party I held for 200 people at my house, not one person bothered to wish me a Happy New Year and I wandered out into a field to contemplate it all and decided it was money well spent to find out I had no friends there, well not at the party anyway!!

Track List:
01 Prelude to a Millennium 3' 42"
02 Only a Dream 4' 34"
03 A Waltz of Life
04 Forever More 4' 51"
05 The Dancing Piano 4' 35"
06 Reflections of a Winter's Day 6' 21"
07 A New Dawn 5' 15"
08 Lullaby 5' 22"
09 Seasons of Change 5' 33"
10 Waiting for God 5' 2"
11 Vienna by Moonlight 4' 7"
12 The Cycle of Life 7' 13"

Rick Wakeman-Grand Piano

1 comment: