L E G E N D


Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rick Wakeman - (1983) Cost of Living


Rick's Perspective:
Notes: Another nearly album. It has too much variation within the music for me to be really happy about it and again I endedup in a studio that I really didn't like that was picked by the record company at the time and so I couldn't change. There's a mixture of great playing and some very poor playing as well. Most disappointing is the piano sound as the piano in the studio was cheap and nasty. There are a couple of classic tracks on the album though such as Happening Man which I would love to re-record one day.

Studio Album, released in 1983

When it was released, I bought the cassette version. But when I looked at the CD later on, I still decided to purchase this album. Actually I knew it well that this was not Rick’s best work. But for me Rick wakeman’s music is something special that’s hard for me to miss. I was lucky that during Rick Wakeman’s concert in Jakarta in 2002, I got his signature and Tony Fernadez on this CD. It’s now a memorable CD in my collection that I will keep it as long as I can.

As I said, musically this is not “the” thing that Rick used to make. But some songs are interesting. The album starts with a nice piano piece as intro: “Twij” followed with a rocker “Pandamonia” which does not stir my emotion at all. But when it reaches “Gone but Not Forgotten”, I say .. “this is it!”. Yes, it’s probably the only reason why I purchased the CD version because of this song. Other song that I like is “Happening Man” which is another rocker with good guitar riffs.

If you are a collector of Rick’s music, then it’s fine to own this album. But if you are not, I do not recommend you to own it. Keep on proggin’ ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild – GW

Track Listings

1. Twij (1:19)
2. Pandamonia (3:56)
3. Gone but Not Forgotten (3:40)
4. One for the Road (4:38)
5. Bedtime Stories (4:22)
6. Happening Man (3:31)
7. Shakespeare Run (3:23)
8. Monkey Nuts (3:22)
9. Elegy - Written in a Country Churchyard (8:24)

Total Time: 37:04
Line-up/Musicians

- Rick Wakeman / keyboards
- Hereford Kaye / vocal
- John Gustafason / bass
- Jackie McAuley / guitar
- Tony Fernandez / drums, percussion
+ Robert Powell / voice

1 comment:

dj_Koppig said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J9LR4FYR