L E G E N D


Thursday, July 10, 2008

JON ANDERSON - (1988) In The City of Angels

In the City of Angels is one of countless Jon Anderson solo albums dating back to 1976's Olias of Sunhillow. I know full well that I should have started with his debut album, but alas I saw In the City of Angels in a bargain bin and apparently shifted my brain into neutral (i.e., it was running, but going no where). I have regretted it to this day.

What we have here is basically a collection of pop songs. Nice pop songs, immaculately produced and well written, but pop songs nonetheless. The other thing to note is the cheery vibe throughout the album, like endless episodes of Sesame Street. It's almost sickening. I don't necessarily have a problem with cheeriness, but sometimes you can go too far, sometimes uncomfortably too far.

Anderson does give a great performance, his voice as beautiful as ever. His band of session musicians are all great performers. I really can't find any faults in the performance. What bothers me is that it isn't prog rock and that it isn't even in the same league as Yes' Big Generator or 90125 albums (similar 1980s pop rock with prog tendencies). And thus, it gets only a very, very rare spin in my CD player nowadays.

Two stars. For collectors and fans only. Admittedly, pop rock fans that like music from this era may really enjoy this.


Studio Album, released in 1988

Track Listings

1. Hold on to love (4:46)
2. If it wasn´t for love (Oneness Family) (4:26)
3. Sundancing (For the Hopi/Navajo Energy) (3:16)
4. Is it me (4:22)
5. In a lifetime (4:13)
6. For you (2:51)
7. New civilization (4:31)
8. It´s on fire (4:11)
9. Betcha (4:01)
10. Top of the world (The glass bead games) (5:26)
11. Hurry home (song from the pleiades) (4:59)

Total Time: 47:02
Line-up/Musicians

- Jon Anderson / vocals
- Jeff Porcaro / drums
- Mike Porcaro / bass
- David Paich / keyboard
- Dann Huff / guitar
- Michael Landau / guitar
- Jon Robinson / drums
- Larry Williams / keyboard
- Lenny Castro / percussion
- Marc Russo / saxophone

6 comments:

dj_Koppig said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/34160277/JA1988.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/34159973/JA1988.part2.rar

scholle said...

hallo there,
inj this comment is no pass word. can you send me a p.w. for the *rar archives?
thanks for all and have a good time
scholle

Marcelo Perry said...

Please,dj send a password for this download,please!!!thanks

scholle said...

http://rs88gc2.rapidshare.com/files/27108931/3745285/JON_ANDERSON___in_the_city_of_angeles__88_.rar

scholle said...

well there is another link taht´s also the same
enjoy ...

KK said...

The comment left by scholle with the second link tried to download a binary (.exe) file onto my computer without my permission. It also opened several pop-ups until my antivirus shut the connection down to protect my computer. Click at your own risk.