L E G E N D


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Allan Holdsworth - 1985 Metal Fatigue


I felt an urgent need to change my review and rating for this album after my taste had adapted to the kind of music offered here. I think this one was the first solo album from this top jazz guitarist I listened to and admittedly I was not that much fascinated by it after first spin (shame on me!). Up to that moment I have been more familiar with his stuff he did with UK and Soft Machine, which I liked very much. But meanwhile I listened to most of his solo works and not to a least part I’m very grateful to Dan to provide an excellent introduction to Allen Holdsworth’s musical world. Coming back to “Metal Fatigue” as I said before I found it a bit weak in the beginning, maybe because I was more into the hard-edged rocking end of the jazz fusion spectrum. And of course this album here is anything else than that, rather it is a fine piece of art consisting of six excellent compositions played in a very soulful manner not only by Allen Holdsworth but by all musicians. And now I can just agree to all co-reviewers that he still keeps some rock feel here, especially in tracks like the title song, “Devil take the hindmost” (awesome fast and beautiful playing by him) and “The Un-Merry-Go-Round” with an excellent drum solo. These three tracks are the highlights of this record for me. Nevertheless the remaining three ones are excellent ones as well, although I’ve to say that the vocal parts are not matching that much my favourite style. But regarding the instrumental performance presented here I can only say that it’s absolutely flawless, fantastic and top notch. I’m quite sure that I’ll listen to this one still many many times and it’s very close to become one of my top favourites (at least the instrumental tracks). Certainly worth 4 to 4 ½ stars and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to all lovers of excellent jazz rock fusion!

Allan Holdsworth - "Metal Fatigue" (1985)

Track Listing:

01 Metal Fatigue 4:45
02 Home 5:29
03 Devil, Take the Hindmost 5:33
04 Panic Station 3:31
05 The Un-Merry Go-Round 14:06
06 In The Mystery 3:49

Personnel:

Allan Holdsworth - Guitar
Jimmy Johnson - Bass
Chad Wackerman - Drums
Paul Williams - Vocals (track 4)
Alan Pasque - Keyboard (track 5)
Gary Willis - Bass (track 5)
Gary Husband - Drums (track 5)
Mac Hine - Drums (track 6)
Paul Korda - Vocals (track 6)

1 comment:

dj_Koppig said...

http://sharebee.com/36e489d8